As my light becomes dark

I intertwine my words and vision into woven light

Saturday, February 16, 2013

he has my heart....

Yesterday I received an email from my dear friend Sean.  I am so grateful for him... ----------



Forwarded message ---------- From: "Sean Ross"
Date: 15/02/2013 2:12 PM Subject: 
To: "Sarah Martin" 

I really enjoyed your piece, 'Yesterday, I cried....'   Thank you for sharing that with me. It sounds like there's been an enormous amount of growth in your life. I'm very proud of you, Sarah, and feel certain you'll continue to go from stength to strength, from hereon in. I'm sure you will prove to be an inspiration to others, yourself, in years to come.   

I love you xoxox 



Sean is one of the most talented, beautiful people I know. He wrote this heartfelt touching account of how we became friends, hopefully this gives an insight to how precious he is to me..... At the time I first met Sarah Martin, I had not long auditioned for Maestro Vladimir Vais, and was about to embark upon an exciting new exploration into the art of orchestral conducting. Sarah, herself, was in the throes of completing an Arts degree; majoring in creative writing. Having tired of the few months' exertion I'd endured at the diary factory in Collingwood, I had been searching further afield, for employment that would both complement, and add variety to, my ushering job with the Marriner Theatres. 


Surprisingly, I unearthed an advertisement for the charity fundraising company, Communication Direct, which just so happened to be located in the same neighbourhood as the diary factory. Sarah and I were in the same large group of new employees; commencing work together on the 25th of November, 1999. It was not until around the year 2001, however, that we actually became close friends. In fact, I can't even recall noticing Sarah amidst the throng of new employees, at induction; such were the sheer numbers of people being employed by the company, at the time.        


Indeed, although C.D. was a relatively small, 'boutique-style' affair, at the time the services of Sarah and mine were enlisted, it was nonetheless experiencing a boom in business. Whilst the company would later come to consolidate the full range of its commitments, quite drastically (perhaps having over-extended itself, and in so doing, over-estimated its ability to deliver satisfactory results to a number of the charities concerned), initially, Sarah and I worked on behalf of such charities as the Red Cross, Diabetes Victoria, Arthritis and Osteoporosis Victoria, and another one or two such organizations, whose names seem to have escaped my memory. We worked between the hours of 5pm and 9pm and, for the most part, were engaged in 'cold calling': prevailing upon the public to assist the charities we represented, by accepting a small book of raffle tickets; either to on-sell or to purchase outright, themselves. Originally, the nature of the job appealed to me, because it appeared to be a relatively easy and mindless one, which would no doubt afford me the chance to channel the greater part of my mental energy into my various creative endeavours.        


At the time we actually became bosom buddies, Sarah had yet to undergo the inner metamorphosis that would ultimately produce the strikingly self-assured individual that she had always been, deep down. What I came to admire most about Sarah was her quiet maturity and general nobility of character, coupled with her keen sense of good, old-fashioned fun! Just over two years my junior, Sarah became akin to a second sister, to me; showering light into what would otherwise have been a considerably dull working environment. In turn, Sarah seemed to be inspired by my drive; the sense of purpose and meaning with which my life was imbued. Not having had a clear sense of what she most wanted from life, this very sense of purpose was something to which she aspired, herself. Whilst not endowed with the soul of an artist, as such (as was the case with her mother, Mary Martin), Sarah was nevertheless possessed of quite a creative vein, herself; something which became manifestly expressed in her creative writing. Over time, Sarah became my best girlfriend. We both came to confide in one another our innermost thoughts and feelings; both joyous and disconsolate, alike.         


Perhaps what I remember most fondly about the 'Communication Direct' chapter of our lives is the fun we had at the weekend parties Sarah hosted, at her Grandma's house (where she lived for around four years). Naturally, these hotly-anticipated social events were contrived so as to impinge neither upon her Grandma's liberties, nor her general peace of mind! They were scheduled only on weekends when her Grandma had arranged to stay with other relatives, and presented Sarah with the rare opportunity of being able to lose herself in a state of self-induced oblivion! In an effort to further magnify her enjoyment of these excursions into mindless frivolity, Sarah made repeated attempts to lure me into a similar state of dulled consciousness, but alas, to no avail. Not being as fond of spirits (of the alcoholic variety, at any rate), I could never bring myself to match her level of intoxication!        


I shall forever be indebted to Sarah for the rare and precious gift of her enduring friendship. Her love and support over the years have been truly unconditional. She is a refreshingly non-judgmental person, who has successfully managed to retrieve my head from amidst the clouds, whenever it was in danger of being lost, there!    



 ~~~~~~~~~~~ 


 I am honored to call him my friend and thank him for this beautiful tribute to our friendship. A friendship that has never changed even with space and time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment